As part of our product offering, SPIROL manufactures hardened Thrust Washers that feature less wear and longer life for reduced serviceability costs. Thrust Washers look like many other washers, but are actually used in conjunction with bearings or in place of bearings, to create a wear surface. Similar to bearings, our custom Thrust Washers are used in rotary assemblies to control axial or side-to-side motion, and keep the components aligned along the shaft or axle. They also provide a wear surface so as to preserve expensive castings, gears or other precision machined components.
Thrust Washers are typically subject to high heat and wear applications in industries such as heavy equipment, automotive, transmission, and industrial power generation. Because of this, a hardened material is recommended.
Through & Case Hardened Options
Thrust Washers are hardened by two different methods to meet different application requirements:
- Through Hardened -- meaning the Thrust Washer is heat treated to provide a consistent hardness through the entire thickness of the washer.
- Case Hardened -- meaning the Thrust Washer has a softer, ductile core reducing the likelihood of fracturing.
Advantages of SPIROL Thrust Washers
SPIROL controls quality, lead time and cost by performing secondary operations in-house:
- Sizes ranging from .25" (6.35mm) minimum ID to 8" (203mm) OD
- Through Hardened: High carbon steels and alloy steels can be through hardened to the required hardness to meet customer drawing and application requirements.
- Case Hardened: Low to mid carbon steels and alloy steels may be case hardened to the required hardness and case depth to meet customer drawing and application requirements.
- Flatness - without grinding - can be held up to .0015 per inch (0.04 per millimeter).
- Grinding and lapping enables tighter flatness tolerances to be maintained.
- Deburring/micropolishing available to further enhance surface finish and edge condition
- Surface finishes to 8 µin (0.2 µm)
- Machining for tight tolerance diameters
- Tukon and hardness testing
SPIROL's Engineers will assist you in the custom design of Thrust Washers to meet your specific application needs and will provide experience-based recommendations in terms of design, materials, hardness, and finish that will result in the lowest assembled cost.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 330.920.3655